Sunday, May 25, 2008

End Days

One hundred and thirty days.

Is the world as we know it coming to a crash? I see the slow growth of a survivalist mentality around me, and I admit that my own ability to survive has taken an uptick in recent years, but it was not provoked by the ideas in the article.

So what does the near and long term hold for us in your stories?

Most of my future based stories show a future of increased polarization: technology-driven societies versus self-sufficient masses, true believers versus non-believers, and cooperative driven individuals versus armed hordes with the vast middle-ground sacrificed to either sides goals and all leading to a world-wide dilemma that ultimately reduces the overall population to half of what it is now...and cycle repeats again.

3 comments:

Larry Kollar said...

Um… I'm up to Episode 34 of FAR Future now. :-)

As you might know, I don't foresee a MadMax kind of future — the so-called "marauding hordes" aren't used to walking farther than the couch to the driveway; how are they going to trek 30, 40, 60 miles to steal my stuff? I also don't see governments having much success in curbing civil liberties; then again, both government and people will be too busy keeping things going to worry about it.

But I always try to remember Asimov's advice: sci-fi is about people; the imagined future simply provides a backdrop for their struggles with the world & each other.

Rick Bylina said...

Hmm. Maybe I'll retreat to the Far Manor.

I do heat all my hot water with solar (no electric pump). My winter heat is through wood. Alas, my summer cooling does come from the new-clee-arh power plant or through the kindness of Mother Nature.

Maybe I should rework McCarthy's novel "The Road".

The beer ran out. The couch sighed a profile of relief as his systems broked down the stored fat. First, the DVD jammed. The generator died for the want of a new spark plug. His world grew small, the road looked endless. He lay down on the truck bed until his fifteen-year-old son beat him with a fishing pole.

"I'm outta here." Down the road about five miles, the boy found a clan of women in great need. He supplied their needs for eight-seven years. Died happy.

Larry Kollar said...

Hey, you're always welcome to visit, at least. ;-)

You're way ahead of me with the water situation. I figure I'll install an insulated 100-gallon tank in the attic & gravity-feed the house, but I haven't gotten too far in figuring out how to get the water up there. Then again, I won't *need* a pump that can put 110psi in a tank…

We should all have that boy's fate, huh?