Tuesday, July 24, 2007

DA GUIDELINEZ #4

Reveal something (move it forward) in each sentence. Reveal through character development (D), background information (B), foreshadowing (F), tension (T), conflict (C), surprise (S), or resolution (R). Take a page of your story. Mark it up using these identifiers. If your page isn't marked up like a kid with chicken pox, it's probably not moving the story forward. Whether genre or literary fiction, you don't want the story to lie there on the page like a three-week-old flounder stinking things up.

1 comment:

Ruth L.~ said...

I've bookmarked this. Looks great. I expect to learn, and I expect to laugh while doing that. That's not too much to expect is it? No pressure or anything.

I look forward to more of your common sense delivered with the laugh lines. You're off to a great start.

Boy, could I go for your favorite meal right now. I'm so hungry. the only problem is, I'm the cook. It's not going to happen.