Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it."

Wednesdays to a week, are like the middle of a novel to a finished novel. The excitement of starting a week refreshed from the weekend has worn off, but the rush to the end of the week hasn't begun yet. In the midst of readying two novels for self-publication, that's where I am with a third one. The middle drags like pulling in a pile of seaweed on your fishing line at the beach. Lots of work. No joy. No pay-off. I should step into the story, and bitch-slap the protagonist like Humphrey Bogart (Sam Spade) to Peter Lorre (Joel Cairo) in "The Maltese Falcon." "Listen here Detective Stark, when you're slapped, you'll take it and like it." Maybe then he'll do something of value in the story. I just have to remember that "tomorrow is just another day." And, it is one day closer to the end of the week, and with each word I write, it gets me closer to the Black Moment, Resolution, and Dénouement. Gee, I'm feeling better already.


So what do you do when you find yourself flagging in the middle of the story?

1 comment:

J. Dennis Bounds said...

Rick:

Good question. I usually consider where all my characters are at that point in the story and figure out what they are thinking and doing. Usually one of them have something (potentially) interesting happening and I go with that for a few scenes. That usually gets me out of the cul-de-sac I've written myself into.