Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Novelists Must Become Actors?

The trend to make movie-type trailers from novels has been going on for some time on the social websites. Now, Simon and Schuster introduced a site, http://www.bookvideos.tv/, which broadcasts short videos of authors and will also produce them.

This author stars in a video for his own books: http://www.mattbeynonrees.com/video.htm. (I hope he is making fun of himself).

Can we now expect to see videos of Jack Getze as Austin Carr ("Big Numbers", "Big Money"), Susan Goodwill as Kate London ("Briga-DOOM", "Little Shop of Murders"), or even Janet Chapman's ("Secrets of the Highlander" on the NYTimes best seller list) main squeeze as one of the heart-stopping MacKeage men?

I sure hope I don't have to appear as a character. I might have to show up as this guy.

4 comments:

Larry Kollar said...

LOL. I could appear as myself in a hypothetical FAR Future trailer, I guess!

Rick Bylina said...

The number of venues that writers must cover nowadays to ensure that readers notice them is getting to the point of insanity.

But, each author needs a plan. Hmm. Streaking live on the Morning Show. Good publicity or an embarrassing joke? Stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

Why not make mystery authors celebrities? Mickey Spillane wasn't much to look at, but it was fun to see him in those beer commercials, wasn't it? And I happen to know that Jack Getze is a sexpot. I think he is reliving his younger days with Austin Carr (what author isn't?) but Oh la la! You should see him with that black shirt undone sipping a drink by the pool. The smirk under the sombrero is worth a video all by itself.

Susan Goodwill said...

That Jack Getz and his sombrero. What a hunk! Talented, too. (Unless the rumor is true and Austin Carr is ghostwriting for him.)
For authors on film,
let's not forget Murder by the Book on Court TV, now in season two. Everyone from Tess Garretson to James Patterson is doing it.

Even I have a YouTube video on a little show called Cult-Pop, but you have to go through Hell to get to me. I mean that literally. They went to Hell, Michigan on the same segment.
http://www.cult-pop.com/
Susan Goodwill
(My new book, Little Shop of Murders, is hitting stores this week--yay!)