Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Review: Murder and Mayhem in the Big Apple

Still about murder and mystery, but it's non-fiction. Murder and Mayhem in the Big Apple chronicles the rise of the BlackHand group to the downfall (that we know of) of its successor, the notorious Murder Incorporated. The author has certainly done his homework for this short true crime book, including many comments from the actual bad guys, and this is where this true crime book doesn't quite do it all for me. As interesting as the events are, there is a flatness to the end of the individual stories. It's not a big deal, but it is there to me.


There were so many names (good and bad and stupid) that it was hard to following the main story at times. With a bit more character portrayal, I don't think my mind would have wandered as much as it did. Still, if you are into the history of New York criminals, this is a great place for resource material.

One thing it did show is that even for the bad guys, the pull of family and the familiar is strong. It was that pull that was the downfall of so many bad guys as they snuck their way home. I'm kind of glad for their downfall, but there is some kind of social statement that can be made there if I was a social scientist. I don't read much non-fiction, but this is a top shelf 4 to me.

No comments: